HOCHTIEF Engineering is HOCHTIEF’s in-house engineering firm. With an international workforce of over 500 employees, we are one of the biggest construction industry engineering firms with headquarters in Germany. For more than 100 years, we have delivered state-of-the-art-solutions for our clients’ projects in the public, industrial and private sector.
On this page
Integrated approach to projects
Size in itself is worth nothing. But our size has been achieved by bringing together broad-based areas of expertise, and the ability to provide consultancy, design and steering throughout every phase of a project. This allows us to take an integrated approach to projects, from concept phase to the subsequent operation of a property. Our core competencies are customized construction and building engineering design, design management and consultancy services as well as engineering services in the business areas of transportation infrastructure, energy infrastructure and building. Alongside these business areas, we provide the required cross-section services for all areas in the fields of construction process management, project steering, construction materials, and Virtual Design and Construction (VDC).
Our experience extends to all kinds of transportation structures, to conventional and renewable energy generation, transfer and storage in the area of energy, and to industrial production facilities and public-sector and private buildings of every type.
Huge experience of complex large-scale projects
Thanks to the long-standing international project and construction site experience, we are in a position to undertake projects of enormous size and greatest complexity, that are very technically demanding even with short mobilization times, big teams, and in foreign-language environments.
Cost-effective and practice-oriented
Our work has been characterized over many decades by direct proximity to the needs of construction and the demands of project management. This puts us in the unique position of being able to develop and implement design solutions of excellent construction feasibility and great functionality, at affordable prices and in the shortest space of time. Since detail design is one of our great strengths, we can offer practical implementation variants, superior special proposals, high-end value engineering and innovative problem solutions. When providing design and consultancy services for work preparation, construction site set-up, construction site logistics and scheduling, we are guided by the highest cost-effectiveness standards.
Design and project steering
High level of management competency
Our extensive project expertise is demonstrated not only by our exceptional ability to provide expert technical and methodological steering of design processes and large design teams. We also bring our wide-ranging experience to bear for our clients with regard to project steering and construction management. Under the label of “Project Engineering”, we offer a broad service spectrum covering the supervision and management of projects and processes for our private and public-sector clients.
We stand apart in a number of specialized areas and expert subjects because of our comprehensive consultancy experience and our efficiency in finding solutions. In this connection, we would first and foremost like to mention:
- structural dynamics for all areas
- deployment of probabilistic verification methods
- life-cycle management for built structures of all kinds
- green building
- building physics
- fire prevention
- facade design and consultancy
- technical fit-out of buildings and infrastructural structures
- construction materials and material technology
- deployment of all state-of-the-art scheduling software
- structural steel engineering
- construction pits and foundations of all kinds
- special solutions for construction in, on and under water
Building Information Modeling (BIM)
State-of-the-art virtual design and construction solutions
With HOCHTIEF ViCon, we have had the market’s best-performing team for Virtual Design and Construction in the building industry at our disposal since 2006. Apart from its headquarters in Essen, this highly innovative company has branches in the Gulf region and the UK that furnish their clients with Building Information Modeling (BIM) products such as
- 3D visualizations
- clash analyses for trades coordination
- model-based quantity surveying
- BIM-based production systems
and also deploy these tools on request by way of service contracts.
What makes us different:
- Integrated approach to projects
- International expertise
- Management of large-scale and complex projects
- Decades of practical and project-related experience
- Focus during construction is on cost-effectiveness and functionality
- Management expertise in design and project implementation
- Exceptional performance in numerous specialist areas and expert matters
- Access to quality-controlled and affordable own company in India
- Market leadership in Virtual Design and Construction and Building Information Modeling when undertaking projects
- Leading provider of infrastructural design services in the main specialist areas
Dr. Hansgeorg Balthaus
Dr. Hansgeorg Balthaus took over as General Manager of HOCHTIEF Engineering GmbH in January 2014. Previously, he had already held various management positions within the HOCHTIEF Group.
Balthaus, born in 1957, studied civil engineering in Braunschweig, London and Berkeley with a focus on geotechnics and soil dynamics. In 1986, he gained his doctorate on a subject of soil dynamics.
Various other functions and mandates:
- Since 2008, Member of the Board of the German Geotechnical Society (DGGT)
- Since 2012, Member of the Board of the German Society for Concrete and Construction Technology (DBV)
- Since August 2010, Honorary Professor for “Tunnel Construction“ at TU Berlin
- Since mid-2013, Member of the Federal Ministry of Transport’s “Reform Commission for Large-scale Projects” and Chairman of the “Partnership-based Project Implementation” working group
Purchasing for the projects is coordinated by a central unit within our European business. Besides Governance and Compliance tasks, this central unit also is in charge of negotiating and making available the materials and services required by all units.
HOCHTIEF Engineering adheres to the same guiding principles as HOCHTIEF Aktiengesellschaft.
Code of Conduct for Business Partners
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (German edition)
pdf (531.5 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (English edition)
pdf (525.9 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Bulgarian edition)
pdf (542.3 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Czech edition)
pdf (529.6 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Spanish edition)
pdf (528.9 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Greek edition)
pdf (626.6 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Hungarian edition)
pdf (534.2 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct (Latvian edition)
pdf (528.1 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Dutch edition)
pdf (528.6 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Polish edition)
pdf (535.1 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Romanian edition)
pdf (529.2 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Russian edition)
pdf (545.6 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Swedish edition)
pdf (527.0 KB))
HOCHTIEF Code of Conduct for Business Partners (Slovakian edition)
pdf (534.6 KB))
Terms of Purchase HOCHTIEF
pdf (54.2 KB))
pdf (26.5 KB))
pdf (157.3 KB))
General Terms of Purchase
pdf (146.7 KB))
Zusätzliche Vertragsbedingung zur VOB-B und C
pdf (186.9 KB))
Supplementary Conditions of Contract to the VOB
pdf (81.0 KB))
- Certificates HOCHTIEF Engineering (German only)
Suppliers and subcontractors can register in the HOCHTIEF supplier portal and have the opportunity to present their company and hence their services and products. By registering, suppliers and subcontractors become part of the HOCHTIEF network. They receive information about bid invitations and can make applications for these if they are interested.